Job Title: Coordinator of Young Adult Ministry & Faith Formation Job Type: Full-time at 37.5 hours per week Location: 151 Laurier Ave. East, Ottawa, ON K1N 6N8 Starting Salary: $45,000 + Benefits
Start Date: October 2021
Closing Date: Open until filled
St. Joseph’s Parish, an inclusive and vibrant Roman Catholic faith community, is hiring a Coordinator of Young Adult Ministry & Faith Formation to join our staff team. Established by the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate in 1856, it is the Parish’s mission to reach out to the most marginalized in our broader community in the spirit of the Church’s teachings on the Preferential Option for the Poor and to sustain a parish that is open and welcoming to all. Located adjacent to the University of Ottawa, student outreach and offering young Catholics a positive faith community are central aspects of our pastoral work.
- Coordinate a Sunday evening Mass for students and young adults during the academic year (September through April), including the formation of student volunteers to participate in the various liturgical ministries;
- Develop, coordinate and implement young adult programming that meets the objective of forming students and recent graduates spiritually, pastorally and intellectually in their Catholic faith, and into becoming engaged members of the parish community;
- Plan and implement effective outreach to Catholic university students and recent graduates, inviting them to Parish liturgies and programmes;
- Participate in ecumenical student chaplaincy initiatives at the University of Ottawa;
- Coordinate Marriage Preparation courses and train volunteer facilitators;
- Coordinate Sacramental preparation programmes for youth in the Parish (First Communion, Reconciliation, Confirmation), prepare the annual Sacramental Calendar and facilitate children’s liturgy;
- Coordinate a year-round adult initiation process which fully implements the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults;
- Serve as the primary staff contact for key pastoral ministries, supporting volunteer ministry leaders in their work, as needed;
- Develop quality online materials, communication, and resources for all applicable areas of responsibility;
- Collaborate with administrative staff in maintaining Sacramental records.
Specifics of the Position
- Must be willing to work on Sundays and occasionally on Saturdays or some evenings;
- Most work is to be completed on-site and maintaining regular in-person office hours is required;
- Collaborate in a collegial manner with the Pastoral Team and with other Parish staff;
- Follow the best practices of Ottawa Public Health and Parish health and safety protocols during the pandemic;
- Bachelor’s degree in theology, religious studies, pastoral care, social work, education, or in a related field;
- Formation and pastoral experience in adult education, including adult religious education;
- Experience or ministry to, and with young adults and an understanding of related developmental stages;
- Be a member of the Catholic faith community with an active faith life.
Remuneration & Benefits
- A starting salary of $45,000 per annum;
- Extended medical and dental plan;
- Group RRSP plan with employer contributions;
- 15 paid vacation days and 15 paid sick days per year.
All those interested are invited to apply by submitting:
- A cover letter, which outlines how the core competencies are met through a combination of relevant employment, volunteer experience, as well as educational background, and attests to the applicant’s understanding of our Parish mission;
- An updated resume;
- The contact information for two references who can speak to the candidate’s relevant educational, employment or volunteer experience.
Please submit the above documents by email to Christopher Adam, Parish Executive Director: [email protected].
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Only candidates short-listed for an interview will be contacted.
*HR Note: Equivalencies, where appropriate, will be considered. Applicants are encouraged to provide information which may demonstrate equivalent qualifications.