Dear St. Joe’s parishioners,
Fr. Jim offers us a video reflection (and a live one at this weekend’s Masses) on the concept of accepting an invitation to be with Jesus, especially when we are weary and carrying heavy burdens. Fr. Jim notes: “To rest in Jesus is not to flop passively into a state of inactivity, but to rest perceivably and actively in him, so as to appropriate his mind, his wisdom and his strength. It is to be filled with the Spirit of Jesus so as to be fully refreshed and renewed for service.” Fr. Jim adds, in reference to the concept of the yoke, as it appears in the Gospel message, that “it is easy because we don’t have to be self-sufficient. Believing that God has given us one another, and that we can and must count on God and one another is the wisdom Jesus invites us to embrace and follow…”
- Mass registration for July 11-12, 2020 is now open — both parishioners and visitors are most welcome here. In this time of pandemic, we ask that you complete the registration form offered through the Parish’s Breeze database to help us ensure that capacity at each Mass does not exceed 90 people.
- It is with great sadness that we inform you that Richard Haughian, a long time parishioner at St. Joe’s, has died after a long illness. Please keep Richard’s family in your prayers.
- It is with great sadness that we inform you that Madeleine Power, a long time parishioner at St. Joe’s, has died after a brief illness. Please keep Madeleine’s husband, Cliff, and the family in your prayer at this sorrowful time. The funeral will take place at a later date.
- The brunch offered in the St. Joe’s Supper Table on June 27, 2020 by the Secular Franciscans was a success! A total of 32 take-out meals were joyfully prepared by the Secular Franciscans of IHM. The meals included everything that comes with a traditional brunch, such as eggs, bacon and sausage, pancakes with maple syrup, potato casserole, juice and coffee!
- Prayers of the faithful: If you would like to add loved ones to the prayers of the faithful, please contact Jamie Loback: [email protected].
- The Meditation Group meets Friday evenings at 7:00 p.m. in the church. If you would like to participate, please enter through the rectory, at 151 Laurier Avenue East, and arrive by 6:45 p.m. All are welcome.
- Sunday Offering for June 28, 2020: $5,378. Thank you for your continued generosity! If you are attending Mass this weekend and would like to make a donation, you will find a Sunday offering basket near the main entrance of the church. You can leave your donation here at either the beginning or the end of Mass. If you are not yet returning to St. Joe’s for Mass this weekend or will be away, please consider using Canada Helps. You may choose the Parish fund of your choice through this form: http://www.st-josephs.ca/about/donations/.
- Announced Masses for the upcoming week:
- July 9, 2020: Dale (Requested by Irene Friday)
- July 10, 2020: In Thanksgiving (Requested by Marion Kizas)
- The Sisters of Holy Cross on Merivale Road are selling their house in July. If anyone would be interested in any of the following items, please contact Sister Barbara Hebert at 613-723-2043. For sale — 2 lovely solid light wood pedestals-12x12x 3’; 1 altar with altar stone; 1 vestry cupboard for altar linens with 7 drawers; 2 wall pictures of St. Peter and Paul.
Thank you to all parishioners who have registered prior to attending Mass these past two weekends, as we have reopened our church whilst following strict guidelines to keep everyone safe. We would ask that you continue to always register, even when we do not reach our reduced capacity of 90.
Have a restful weekend!
email: [email protected]