Pastoral Visiting Ministry
“We are a listening ministry; we bring a smile, enthusiasm and love to shut-ins in Sandy Hill, residents at Rideau Place (550 Wilbrod) and Roman Catholic patients at the Civic Hospital. The requirements for each site are different. The people we visit are no longer able to take part in regular parish life, in fact they no longer feel they “belong” to a parish. One of our group shares this perspective: I find it life-giving and faith-strengthening because these people have kept the faith…very humbling.”
Home visits are by request and forwarded to our Pastor who either makes the visit or passes the request along to us. We visit in a team and do not initially take the Holy Eucharist: some people wish only a visit. Request for a home visit is made by contacting the Front Office (613 233-4095). After the visit, there is a follow-up with either Father or the coordinator.
- Home and retirement residences: 1-1½ hours weekly, the Civic is 3-4 hours weekly.
- Once a year we gather for noon Mass, a potluck and a meeting where we share the joy and experiences in our ministry.
- Listening skills, patience and compassion
- Non-judgemental, respectful
- Able to put people at ease
- Provide friendly and welcoming atmosphere
Training: Pastoral Care Training (www.ottawapastoralcare.com) or approved equivalent
Police Check: Yes
Contact: Kathleen Allan 613 729-1903 firstname.lastname@example.org